How do I file my civil case?
You can file your case by preparing a statement of claim with the clerk of Magistrate Court. The defendant must be a resident of Murray County, and you will need to know the defendant’s address to file this claim.

A Statement of Claim Form is available at the Magistrate Court clerk's office. Your claim must set forth the facts, which form the basis of your suit. You do not have to recite all of the evidence that you intend to produce at trial, but you should provide enough information so that the defendant will know what he or she is being sued for. If you have documents that support your case, you should attach those documents to the Statement of Claim (for instance, attach invoices, statements of account, contracts, work orders, etc.).

The cost to file a civil claim with the Murray County Magistrate Court is $97.00 for the filing fee.

Show All Answers

1. Can I use self help to evict the tenant from the rental property without the commencement of a dispossessory?
2. I am the defendant and have been served with a lawsuit, what do I need to do?
3. I am the judgment creditor and my judgment has been paid, what do I need to do?
4. What are the requirements for a landlord filing a dispossessory action?
5. Can I appeal my civil case if I lose?
6. The tenant has filed his or her answer, so when will the hearing be held?
7. Can I reduce my claim to $15,000 and file it in Magistrate Court?
8. How do I file my civil case?
9. What services are not handled by Magistrate Court?
10. Where should I file my case?