How to Report an Animal Bite

Anytime an animal bites a human, state law requires it be reported to animal control or the police department. Each complaint must be investigated to ensure that the animal does not have rabies.

If you are bitten by an animal, act immediately. Wash the wound and seek medical care. Have someone confine or keep track of the animal and call the animal control department as soon as possible. If that isn't possible, report the bite to 911 or the police department please include:

  • the description of the animal such as type or breed, color, size/weight, sex, and tag number;
  • the last known location of the animal; and
  • the name and address of the owner if known.

If your pet bites someone:

  • Confine your pet immediately and check on the victim's condition. If necessary, get medical help.
  • Provide the victim with important information such as the date of your pet's last rabies vaccination and your pet's history (has he/she ever bitten anyone before?).
  • Report the bite to Murray County Animal Control at 706-695-8003. Keep your pet confined until the authorities contact you about quarantine. If your animal is not vaccinated against rabies; DO NOT HAVE YOUR PET VACCINATED UNTIL YOU RECEIVE INSTRUCTIONS.
  • Consult your veterinarian or an animal trainer/behaviorist for practical advice that will help you prevent such problems in the future.